I also wanted something I could give out this Christmas. After many tries, and several recipes, I'm sharing the recipe that worked (with some variation), thank you Martha Stewart!
Makes about 20
2 tablespoons powdered gelatine
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups caster sugar
2/3 cup glucose syrup
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons cornflour, sifted
- Lightly spray a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, sprinkle gelatine over 1/2 cup cold water; let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, glucose syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring up to 120°C on a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat, and, with the mixer on high, slowly pour the boiling syrup down the side of the mixer bowl into gelatine mixture. Add salt and continue mixing for 12 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well until combined. Spray a rubber spatula and spread mixture evenly into pan.
Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place, spray side down, on top of marshmallows. Leave to stand overnight.
- Sift icing sugar and cornflour together in a bowl.
Place a large piece of baking paper on a chopping board, and sprinkle well with the icing sugar mixture.
- Remove the top plastic wrap and carefully remove marshmallows from pan onto the baking paper. Remove the rest of the plastic wrap and discard.
- Cut marshmallows into 4cm squares using a sprayed sharp knife. Working in batches, add marshmallows to bowl and toss to coat.
Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Basically, you answer the questions below (try to limit it to one-word answers as much as possible), and pass the award on to another six bloggers you would like to know more about.
1. Where is your cell phone? ottoman
2. Your hair? black
3. Your mother? Away
4. Your father? Sleeps
5. Your favorite food? Tarts
6. Your dream last night? Scary
7. Your favorite drink? San Pellegrino
8. Your dream/goal? housewife
9. What room are you in? Living
10. Your hobby? Sleeping
11. Your fear? Falling
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Kitchen
13. Where were you last night? Friend's place
14. Something that you aren’t? Crazy
15. Muffins? Savoury!
16. Wish list item? Kitchenaid Mixer
17. Where did you grow up? Sydney
18. Last thing you did? Blogged!
19. What are you wearing? Red shirt
20. Your TV? Frasier
21. Your pets? Fish
22. Friends? Close
23. Your life? Getting better
24. Your mood? Relaxed
25. Missing someone? Friends overseas
26. Vehicle? Mazda 3
27. Something you’re not wearing? watch
28. Your favorite store? Chocolate shops
29. Your favorite color? brown
30. When was the last time you laughed? Today
31. Last time you cried? two weeks ago
32. Your best friend? Husband
33. One place that I go to over and over? Cradle Mountain
34. One person who emails me regularly? Keiko
35. Favorite place to eat? Billy Kwong
Here are the six bloggers I'm award the OTT award to :). Just remember to link me on your post!
2. Ooh, Look...
3. Be The Foodie
4. Lena Soka Cooks
6. Brown-Eyed Baker