Saturday, August 15, 2009

bills Surry Hills

I picked up a travel guide for Sydney and was curious to see where the guide recommended to eat around the traps. I've had some mediocre experiences with recommendations from travel guides - I ate at very average "highly recommended" places in Venice (Italy), Arrowtown (NZ) and Christchurch (NZ).

I do agree with this one recommendation for Sydney though. It's an oldie, but a goodie - bills. My brother and his wife kindly took me out for lunch one day....

We share three dishes amongst three people. I must admit that I haven't managed to get past ordering at least two out of three of these dishes when I go to bills, because;
1. they're iconic and characteristic of bills and
2. they are always consistently very very good!

From the top left (clockwise):
Ricotta hotcakes with fresh banana and honeycomb butter $16.60
fluffy, soft, almost cakey hotcakes, with the not-as-sweet-as-you-would-think honeycomb butter. I must admit that I've come to bills just to get this for dessert (yes you can and it's cheaper, but for a smaller portion)

Sweet corn fritters with roast tomato, spinach and bacon $17.50
corn kernels fresh off the cob, in a crispy fritter with a really nice avocado salsa.

Hot chocolate with Callebaut $4.00
See those little chocolate bits? You mix it with the hot milk and ta-da, there's your rich, dark, hot chocolate.

Sunrise Drink $5.00 (small)
mix of orange juice, banana, yoghurt and berries

Scrambled organic eggs with sourdough toast with a side of bacon $12.80 (plus $4.50 bacon)
The best scrambled eggs in Sydney. Super creamy, soft - never overcooked. Served with sourdough toast you can slather with good quality butter - ok, I should stop here!

It is a Sydney breakfast/brunch/lunch must. Avoid coming here for Saturday brunch - be prepared for a long wait.

359 Crown Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
phone: (02) 9360 4762
http://www.bills.com.au/restaurants/surry.htm
hours: daily 7.00am to 10.00pm

No comments:

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates