Monday, October 12, 2009

San Francisco - Day 2 (Part 1)

As I was putting the pictures together, I realised how much we actually did in the two days we were in SF (food-wise, that is). So I will break Day 2 into a few parts.

The next day dawned on us, and it was bright and sunny, but still pretty cool. We went for a short Muni (tram) ride to Alamo Square, to see the houses from the opening sequence of Full House (Olsen twins anyone?). After a quick pic, we hopped on another Muni to the Mission area for some breakfast.

Breakfast: Tartine
600 Guerrero Street San Francisco, CA 94110
Real coffee made with care, great pastries, eclectic setting. I felt at home.
I had read a lot about this place. Tartine is well known for great pastries and cakes, and if you've been reading this blog you know I love a good bakery or pastry shop. At this point of the trip, this may have been one of the highlights because for the first time ever, I had a great coffee in the US. A cafe latte in a bowl - divine.

Chocolate Croissant and a Morning Roll (orange and cinnamon)
The morning roll is reminiscent of a orange and cinnamon roll I've had at Sonoma in Waterloo. This was delicious, and I felt transported back to Sydney. It's funny how you end up eating at different places in the world and the good stuff is something that reminds you of home...

Just for observation (didn't actually try)
Lemon Cream Tarts and a Banana Cream Tarts


left: Lemon Meringue Cake (genoise, caramel, lemon cream, meringue)
right: Coconut Passion fruit Bavarian (genoise, passion fruit and lime)



Next - some authentic mexican food!

San Francisco Trip so far:
San Francisco Day 1

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh those houses look so cute! I've always wanted to visit SF as one of my favourite book series was set there (Tales of the City).

Food.4.two said...

Lorraine, you'd love SF. I think it's a city I could imagine living in. It's not dissimilar to Sydney in many ways (weather, food) :)

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates