Sunday, November 1, 2009

Black Star Pastry

This post has been a long time coming. I almost feel it's a shame talking about this place on my blog, because I selfishly want to keep it an inner-west secret. It's definitely a place where locals like to go and have a lovingly created sweet, as well as a pretty decent coffee.

I've also been here for some toast and a coffee, and I love the "help yourself" communal tray of butter, Vegemite and assorted preserves and jams.

Lamb Shank Pie
Eating a stew in a flaky pastry. This is a must have when you have lunch here.

Chicken mayo Sandwich

Chocolate Caramel Tart
I can't believe I finished this tart - it was so rich, and that IS salt on top. But the very short tart shell, the salty sweet caramel and the dark chocolate on top were just perfect in combination.


Turkish fig and Orange Cake
The dried fig was mor decoration, but the Orange Cake was orangey, moist and the icing tangy.

Elderflower cheesecake
It was so pretty we had to have it!
The cheesecake sat on a base of a very thin sponge.
The cheesecake itself was light as a feather. The layer of elderflower jelly was a looking glass to the thinly cut pieces of blueberry and grapes. Best cheesecake I've ever had.


277 Australia St Newtown NSW 2042
ph: (02) 9557 8656
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 7am-5pm

6 comments:

Jen said...

I think that was the best pie I've ever tasted ^^

chocolatesuze said...

aw man that chocolate tart looks so awesome

T said...

I'm glad you took me to this place....it was sooo good. we should go again!

Belle@Ooh, Look said...

It's a good thing I haven't been to Black Star yet, I think I'd go crazy there! That cheesecake - oooh gosh!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh gorgeous purchases! I'm so drawn to that cake. I love the ideas they come up with :)

Betty said...

oh man, i've gotta come here :)

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates