Thursday, November 5, 2009

Coffee Crème Caramel

I love crème caramels. I had forgotten how easy it is to make - I can't recall why I stopped making them too often, they are just a really nice simple dessert to make.

The only thing I still have difficulty with is trying to get the custard nicely out of the ramekin, even the tips didn't really help much...any suggestions?

This recipe has only been slightly adapted from Issue 46 of the Donna Hay magazine.

Ingredients
150g caster sugar
80ml water
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup single (pouring) cream
1/4 cup espresso coffee
2 eggs, plus 4 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar, extra
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
  2. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
    Bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
  3. Pour the caramel into 4 x 3/4 cup capacity oven-proof dishes.
    Set aside for 5 mins until caramel is set.
  4. Place the milk, cream and coffee in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Remove from heat.
  5. Place the eggs, extra yolks, extra sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture.
  6. Place the dishes in a water bath. Bake for 35 minutes until set.
    Remove from dish and refrigerate for 2 hours until cold.
  7. Turn out onto plates to serve
Tip: The magazine says to dip the base of each dish into hot water for 10secs before turning out, this will loosen the caramel and help it to slip out more easily.

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I ahve to admit that's the thing that scares me about making creme caramel too! I swear I hold my breath whenever it is unmoulded. COuld it be like a jelly and hot water applied to the tin and a sharp thin knife around the edge to help it?

Food.4.two said...

Yup...did that....I was hoping there would be an easier sure-fire way instead of that...:)

Von said...

Yummmmm......
I love creme caramel! It looks so much more difficult to make than it actually is =] I usually use a sharp thing knife too- it works pretty well for me

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates