Monday, June 7, 2010

Melbourne Day 1: Cafe Vue, Little Cupcakes, Ying Thai & Koko Black

After my San Francisco trip, my friend from Melbourne asked me how I could've managed to eat so much in the short period I was there.  She found out during the weekend we spent together in Melbourne!

I arrived in Melbourne in time for lunch, and my friend suggested Cafe Vue for a quite, light lunch, and this is where we start.

Cafe Vue
Cafe Vue has a few locations, but we went to the one in the city, as it was close to our hotel and easier to get to.  The Cafe is situated next to the restaurant on Little Collins St.

My friend and I shared a couple of dishes...

French Onion Soup
Croutons weren't as great as I'd hoped...I was hoping cheesy yet still slight crispy.  The onion soup was great though.  It took me back to a bistros in Paris, where I never had a bad French onion soup. - but you gotta love onions!























The Cafe Vue Lunchbox
Pickled beetroot salad, smoked salmon brioche, chicken and pistachio terrine, chocolate macarons
It was a small lunchbox...we were not very full, but it was good for a light lunch.  I'm usually not a big fan of beetroot, but maybe my palate's changing?  The beetroot was nice and tangy.  The chocolate macarons were the highlight....yum!






















Look at the pretty macarons!

Little Cupcakes
We went on to explore the little laneways in the Melbourne CBD, and we stumbled across this little shop, which my friend said had a very good red velvet cupcake.



























Ying Thai
After watching a movie, we went to Lygon St to have some dinner.  Whenever I go to Melbourne, I have to go to this Thai restaurant, because they have this dish that I have not seen in any other Thai restaurant
anywhere, and that is the Crispy Pork Salad.  I even took some home with me on the plane back to Sydney!

Yum sam Grob
Crispy Skin Pork salad mixed with prawns, squids, vegetables and special sauce (ask for mild!)
It's not a very good-for-you salad, I suppose :)  But it's so good!  The sweet, spicy, sour sauce mixed with the crispy pork salad is just perfect perfect perfect.  I seriously don't feel like I've been to Melbourne if I don't get to eat this dish.

Gana Panang with Duck
Can't just have the salad of course :)  The curry was not the main event, but it was nice, spicy, creamy, and generously dotted with roast duck.
Koko Black
Ok, we're very full at this stage, but again, I can't go to Melbourne without hitting Koko Black.  I only manage a small dessert, but it was packed with rich chocolate....

Chocolate Moelleux 
Baked fresh to order, hot liquid centre and served with raspberry espumn
Basically, a chocolate fondant (yum), served with a raspberry puree that has been aerated.  It was a good accompaniment to the fondant, because the molleux was so rich.


Look out for Melbourne Day 2: Babka & Maze!

Cafe Vue
Normanby Chambers, 430 Little Collins Street (between Queen & William Streets), Melbourne
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7am to 4pm, Friday evening from 6.30pm for Cocktail Nights

401 St Kilda Road (near the corner of Toorak Road)
ph: (03) 9866 8055
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7am – 11pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am – 11pm 

7 Templestowe Road, Bulleen
ph: (03) 9852 2346
Opening hours: Tuesday to Friday 10am-5pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm, Thursday to Saturday 6pm-9pm

Little Cupcakes
Shop 7 Degraves St, Melbourne VIC 3000
http://www.littlecupcakes.com.au/index.html
ph: (03) 9077 0413
Opening hours: Monday - Friday 9.00am - 6.00pm, Saturday to Sunday 10.00am - 5.30pm

Ying Thai 2
110 Lygon St, Carlton 3053 VIC 
http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/ying_thai_2/
ph: (03) 9639 1697
Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday, Noon to 10.00pm

Koko Black 
167 Lygon St, Carlton 3053 VIC
http://www.kokoblack.com.au/
ph: (03) 9349 2775
Opening hours: Sunday - Thursday, 10.00am - 11.00pm, Friday - Saturday  10.00am - Midnight

4 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

koko black makes me happy :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh great tour! I'm fascinated by the vue lunchboxes but I'm with you, they look a little small!

annelau said...

deb!! this is an AMAZING blog!!!
you make me hungry with those pictures...
anyway, just dropped by to say hi =)
annelaau

Forager said...

Ooh pork skin salad.. is that a delicious oxymoron?

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates