Sunday, March 13, 2011

Restaurant Balzac Lunch Special

It's been awhile, I know.  Work has been crazy, and we just came back from Hawaii (Aloha!).

I feel a recent lunch at Restaurant Balzac is worth a mention.  For $39 for 3 courses, it's a great deal for the calibre of food served at this restaurant.

Salad of Poached Chicken, Walnuts, Watercress, Mayonnaise and Croutons
The chicken was tender and seasoned perfectly, the croutons light and crisp, and the mayonnaise creamy.  I wish there was twice as much!
Warm Veal Rump with Tuna Mayonnaise,Capers and Parmesan 
I must say, it was the idea of Tuna Mayonnaise and Veal that intrigued me, but I was told by my fellow diner that this was not an uncommon combination - her mum cooks a similar dish.  And it does work!  The veal was sliced in tender slivers, and was cooked to medium.  It was a pleasantly salty dish.
Warm Parkin, Caramel Sauce with Creme Chantilly 
What's Parkin?  That was a question that was asked by our whole table, bar the only Pom.  I googled it before we came for lunch and Wiki said it was a cake made of molasses.  Gosh it was delicious.  It tasted almost like a spicy sticky date pudding, only much lighter.  It tasted as if it was lightly toasted, and it was served with a caramel sauce with a dollop of vanilla dotted cream
The Balzac lunch special changes every week, and is available every Thursday and Friday from 12pm - 3pm. I'll definitely be back soon!

Restaurant Balzac
141 Belmore Road, Randwick NSW 2031
ph: (02) 9399 9660
Lunch special available: Thursday, Friday 12pm-3pm.

4 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

welcome back! and gosh that lunch looks fabulous! dying to try this parkin now!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Welcome back! :D And what a great deal-Balzac is usually a special occasion restaurant!

Michelle said...

darn, should have taken that day off you suggest for today and went here.. next time..

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

The lunch deal is so awesome... I wish I could go one day.
Looking forward to the Hawaii stories ;)

 

food.4.two | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates